Friday, January 2, 2009

Word Ban

Listening to Katie, John and Allison speak using the same sentence structure we regularly use has been eye opening. I am working on banning the worst of the worst. Perhaps I will succeed before Claire is old enough to pick up on them.

got - as in "I got it." None of the others has permeated our language like this one has. I hear myself saying it. I hear others (the kids, friends, personalities on TV) saying it. I read it in children's books. The alternative: any appropriate verb. It's a great opportunity to teach or reinforce the use of a new big word.

can't - as in "I can't..." This is the only one we address directly every time. I can't is not acceptable. Instead try, "I would like some help please." "I need to practice doing this more."

like - as in "This word is so like Valley Girl!" OK, we don't really sound like this. Still, it sneaks into our sentences occasionally and it is very over used in general. Skip the simile altogether.

but - as in "I am giving you a compliment but following it up with a criticism." "No offense intended but..." Reference Tongue Fu by Sam Horn.

want - as in "I want to watch a movie. I want a water cup. I want an apple." If I never hear "I want..." again it will be OK by me. No requests granted unless they are phrased, "May I please..."

Finally, using manipulative speech to receive favors of any sort is not allowed. A great example, "Mommy, I'm so hungry!" when ice cream is spied in the freezer. They have been corrected so many times that all I need to say now is, "Say it directly." No explanation required.


Updating to add:
let me - as in "Let me do that." We prefer, "May I please do that with you." I hear myself saying this often and I'm working hard to stop it.

No comments: